- Arcanta Carol of the Bells
- Voltaire (featuring Unto Ashes) Peace in the Holy Land
- Love Spirals Downwards Welcome Christmas
- Autumn’s Grey Solace Through the Snowy Trees
- Black tape for a blue girl Chanukkah, Oh Chanukkah
- Rhea’s Obsession with Athan Maroulis We Three Kings
- The Crüxshadows Happy Xmas (War is Over)
- Audra Let the Reindeer Live on My Roof
- Unto Ashes For I Am Winter Born
- El Duende Gaudete, Gaudete
- Faith and the Muse A Winter Wassail
- Attrition Silent Night
Ornamental ~ Various Artists | 2012 2-CD $14
Spread holiday cheer and buy
A Dark Noel compiles together some of the highlights from Projekt’s Excelsis holiday releases. This budged priced “best of” includes twelve dark holiday tracks to help you while away the frigid hours until the important day with strains of Voltaire’s eclectic “Peace in the Holy Land,” Black Tape For A Blue Girl’s crusade “Chanukkah, Oh Chanukkah,” The Crüxshadows’ electro-pop take on Lennon/Ono’s “Happy Xmas (War is Over),” and Faith and the Muse bringing you the pagan madrigal “A Winter Wassail.” All graced by our lovely Dark Angel prepared to brighten many a dark holiday night. Spend the season right, this year. Turn down the lights . . . it’s a dark noel!
The Boston Phoenix: Various luminaries of goth cover traditional holiday fare in this compilation. Love Spirals Downward applies a Cocteau Twins-like sound to “Welcome Christmas” with Suzanne Perry’s angelic vocals; Faith & the Muse lend their Renaissance rendition of “A Winter Wassail.” And led by an eerie group of singers, Black Tape for a Blue Girl’s “Chanukkah O Chanukkah” brims with dark gothic overtones. For balance, there are a few more-traditional renditions. This is the perfect Xmas album to play for friends and family to make the holiday just a wee bit weird.